Sunday, June 13, 2010

Metallica


This post is sure to spark some controversy. Seeing as I have already written about a band I love, now I’m going to flip the table a write about a band I have a strong distaste for. Metallica.

I have discussed my dislike for Metallica several times on my personal Tumblr account and have gotten a mix of people agreeing with my opinions and people being utterly outraged. Now don’t get me wrong, I have immense respect for Metallica as artists and I feel like everyone that likes metal music at all has to have respect for them. Bands like Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, and Godsmack would probably not even exist if it wasn’t for Metallica, so I salute them for that.

However, my aversion towards Metallica remains purely on a musically level. Recently, VH1 Classic aired a documentary about metal music and one person stated that Metallica diverted itself from the hair-metal scene because they were “raw” and their music cut out all the fluff. This confuses me, does Metallic not have these long, and in my opinion obnoxiously long, intros in many of their songs? Now, add the guitar solos to this mix. I fail to see how this cuts out the fluff. When I think of raw music I think of The Ramones with fast, aggressive two minute tracks like Blitzkrieg Bop (but I obviously know to compare Metallica and The Ramones would be to compare an apple to an orange but you get my point).

As I’m writing this I’m listening to Black Flag and I hear this voice just full just intense anger and emotion and I find that James’ voices just lack this emotion. I mean sure he has the deep, “metal” voice but I just can’t seem to make that emotional connection with it. Listening to Avenged Sevenfold, which is a band that has been hugely effected by Metallica, I can just feel the passionate and energy that radiates from Matthew’s voice.

All in all, I just cannot get through a Metallica song. Honestly, just find myself bored between the length of the song, the guitar solos, and the vocals.

Any hardcore Metallica fans reading this, I’d love to hear your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment